Wednesday, September 17, 2008

PR: Frustration again.

First, two notes:
1. The final six designers evidently all showed at Bryant Park, and there is a lookbook on the Bravo website if you want to see.
2. The Top Design episode last night with Project Runway alum was interesting. Jeffrey's design was fairly staid but was inspired by Blade Runner. The window wasn't warped enough, unfortunately, and one of those designers got cut. Sweet P's window team won, and it really did look pretty. Daniel Franco's team's window was also pretty good. Anyway, it was interesting to see the fashion design from a different angle, and I'm always interested in window design, especially since I did a little of that at Pier 1.

I am completely baffled as to why Suede is still on Project Runway after the last two weeks. Did not the judges call his garment horrendous this week? Did they not have nearly the same reaction as they did to Blayne's, in thinking what he did was almost comical, in a bad way? Sure, Joe's look was a little cliche and a little off in the sewing, but Suede's garment was completely out of control, and not attractive. WHY?

The clothes:
Jerell: I think Jerell did a nice job responding to his client. I accept that the client wanted androgeny, but I also think he didn't do her shoulders any favor. I have shoulders that tend to slump and are very narrow, and I frequently notice in pictures that whatever I'm wearing exacerbates the problem and makes me look thinner than I am. In his client's case, perhaps some posture lessons might have helped, but he could also have mitigated the issue. Note, once again, a shiny fabric, though this time more tasteful. All in all, this is the look I'd most likely wear myself. The look was a little formal (a point also made by Tim Gunn, who calls it cocktaily). Tim says that the hat Jerell was wearing was originally meant for the model, and asks us what we think about that. I was glad Jerell wore it.
Joe: Now, people have called Joe's look cliche for his graphic designing client. In some ways that's true, but I am here to tell you that ad design offices and many other graphic design scenarios are still looking for professional looks in their people. There are ways to dress that up, but I thought Joe's sin here was much less than Suede's, as I described above.
Now, was Joe's look great? No. It had flaws, and Joe was a bit single-minded in his approach; but, he incorporated a few more small twists that, as I noted, would be in keeping with a professional graphic design office that works with more conservative or formal clients. There was too much belaboring of a point that wasn't fully correct in Joe's case. I don't know what these people are expecting graphic designers to wear.
Kenley: I am done with Kenley's attitude. I have reached the point everyone else has, in other words. It's like having a boyfriend that seduces you with a few particular strong points, but then eventually, maybe long after others have figured it out, you just realize you can't change him.
I liked Kenley's dress. Not a big fan of the vest, though I realize that she was using it to make the look more officey. I would really like to see her do something truly outside her comfort zone, though.
Korto: I really liked Korto's jacket; it was pretty and original, and it had a great structure to it. The dress was kind of blah; the print was pretty, but the construction just looked a little boring. I was really glad Korto did well, though, because her jacket was my favorite piece produced.
Leanne: I liked Leanne's look on the runway better than I do in the still picture; however, I, like Tim Gunn, was baffled as to why she got such low marks. I didn't like the sleeve of the jacket, but I thought the look was very appropriate to this woman's job. When she took the jacket off, the judges seemed so much happier, but I think it looked less appropriate for her position--especially since some schools are too chilly. I remain convinced that the judges are often in a fantasy world about what they think a job or an experience entails (as in the prom challenge last time around!) and lack the experience themselves to know anything about it. I also applaud Leanne for listening to her client's troubles and editing her design carefully so that it still spoke of her aesthetic but met the client's needs. Her model looked adorable.
Suede: I can't say enough bad things about this look, and I'm not normally like that. It looked like a costume from the movie Toys, but a poorly made one. The fit of that jacket was terrible, and at this stage of the game for me, that is a more horrendous problem than something that is a little overdone. Bleh.

In other TV news, Supernatural starts up tonight. Dean, come back from hell!

3 comments:

Jill (Lady Lazarus) said...

I too am sick of Kenley's attitude. I liked her in the beginning, but now...especially after she and her client started laughing when the judges were critiquing .. Suede? .. how obnoxious and childish.

My favorite was Korto, I actually really liked both the jacket and the dress, and I totally would have worn both.

And your comment about the judges expectations is right on: Some of the challenges -- like this one, like the prom one -- go beyond just fashion. There is a sort of function necessary to them, too. They need to be appropriate for the time and place the dress or outfit is required, and the designers are left trying to defend it from the function POV and the judges just, well, don't get it.

Carrie said...

I also agree with you this week. I was so annoyed at the judges. Suits are cliche, especially for interviewing? Right. They seem really out of touch. Joe shouldn't have been voted off- at least I would consider wearing his garment. My god, I have no words for Suede's. Hideous. However, I loved Jerrell's so much, and he was so cute with that girl.

This season of PR is really hitting a low point for me, and consequently, I think it's making me really appreciate Top Design. It seems much better executed this time around. I loved Eddie, even if he gets a little over-enthusiastic, but he works for Martha Stewart Living, and really, that is a dream job. I like Andrea too, but I kinda wish she'd stop mentioning her husband is Rick Schroeder, although I have a feeling the producers are making her do that. But my biggest love is Jonathon Adler. Adore!

Abs said...

You know, I haven't been watching Top Design at all, because I was so irritated last time around, but you're totally right--it seemed smoother and more understandable when I watched on Wednesday. I might have to give it another look, especially since it is sandwiched so conveniently between my other Wednesday night shows.