Saturday, December 12, 2009

In Which I Become Afraid of Needles

So, it's been a busy week.
I had my endoscopy Wednesday. My Mum was with me. I had a terrible vein-searching experience for blood and IV that made me nauseous and I went in to my procedure with a basin next to me and a cloth on my forehead. Fortunately, it turns out that Monitored Anesthesia Care actually really does mean you are unconscious. At least I was. I spent the rest of the day in bed waiting for the anesthesia to leave me and trying to sleep with, alternately, a giant headache, an upset stomach, and the worst taste and cough ever from the stuff they spray in your throat. All in all, it wasn't a good time, and I worry I may now be phobic of needles, when previously I was fine with them. Also, from what I gather, the test was negative, so they scheduled me for a gastric emptying study Friday.
Here is what the gastric study entailed: I came in early in the morning and ate a cup of oatmeal laden with radioactivity and in which I was allowed to put sugar. Then, I sat with my iPod Shuffle in a chair that reminded me of an armless airline seat, not quite coach but not quite first class. I had a pillow behind my back and one behind my head, because I was going to have to sit absolutely still for an hour and a half. And here's the tricky part--from in front of my face to in my lap, about four or five inches from my body, was a machine taking pictures of me constantly. I closed my eyes, gritted my teeth, and listened to a bunch of songs, then landed on two Neko Case songs which I repeated for the last half hour. It was not the worst test I've ever done, but it was kind of like a battle of wills. I definitely went a little numb and got sore. I had to do a few dance stretches when I was finished. I should have the results from this test on Monday at my follow-up appointment.
My Mum stayed with me through all of this, to help me and make sure I didn't set the house on fire while doped up (in fact, at one point when she left to move her car I knocked over and smashed a bottle of olive oil). We went to the MSU at BGSU hockey game last night to celebrate the end of this grueling week (ha ha--gruel. It's an oatmeal joke). I really thought BG would pull through, since they were up 2-0 heading into the third period, but MSU put on a spurt and we got a little lackluster. We lost in overtime, 3-2. And when I say we, I mean BG at this point. I cheer for MSU when they play literally anyone else, but I know virtually the entire BG hockey team, and I want to see them succeed. They're heading up to Munn Arena tonight, and I'll be listening in on the radio to see how it goes.
Meanwhile, Mum has left to get back home before we get ice. I have portfolios needing to be read, and I am ignoring them studiously. I may take some home with me this year, which I've never done before. I really have spent a lot of time resting recently, but somehow I still feel wicked tired and not that well. Very glad I don't have to teach next week, because I need a break from talking. I have to say I am looking forward to a few days of little to no responsibility at some point.
And while you're at it, I have a friend having surgery for breast cancer this week, so some extra prayer her way wouldn't go amiss! I hope you are all well and enjoying yourselves out there.

No comments: