Friday, September 08, 2006

Giggled-so-much-couldn't-stop quote-of-the-week

I have to say that one of my favorite parts of the week is blogging about PR and then, even better, reading the comments of people's own responses to the show! That rules. And this week, we're all so clearly in agreement it gives me a great sense of peace.

OK, this is from my new book, The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Travel, by Joshua Piven and David Borgenicht, in the section on gestures:
"In most Latin American countries it is considered phallic and very rude. In Brazil, the fig gesture means "good luck." In parts of the United States, it means "I've got your nose..." (179).

The first time I read that I had to read it again repeatedly because it made me laugh so much. It just sounds so funny to have I've got your nose thrown in there with the same seriousness as good luck or f you.
Ha ha! (said in scary Heidi Klum commercial voice).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What does "I've got your nose" even mean? Is it supportive (like, "I got your back")? Or is it a threat?

--SECP

Abs said...

I've got your nose is, in fact, the children's game! You know, ooh, I've got your nose! I've got your nose! Where is it? I'm not giving it back!
The book goes on to explain this, but honestly the first few times through I didn't even get that far because I was laughing too hard.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'd heard of that game, much less played it. I suspect I was enough occupied with "tickle tickle chin."

-SECP