Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Weird things I'm grateful for

Obviously, given the awesomeness that is my family, my home home, and even my apartments home, among other things, I have a lot to be grateful for. But sometimes it's good to be grateful for the little or odd things in life, too, to give them some appreciation. Here are five of mine:
1. Peripheral Vision. I spent most of my child and teenagerhood in spectacles, and every once in a while, driving down the road with my contacts in, I experience afresh the miracle that is clear peripheral vision, being able to see shapes and colors out of the corner of my eye.
2. Strawberry Frosted Mini-Wheats. Honestly, I don't know what I did before these were in my life. And if you want to know whether I trail-mix these, some Cheerios, some honey-roasted peanuts, some Craisins, and maybe some chocolate chips in a bowl and read literature in the Harry Potter region, wrapped in blankets, when I feel like being snuggly and warm, well...yes.
3. A Christmas Carol, re: Scrooge's House: "it must have run there when it was a young house, playing at hide-and-seek with other houses, and forgot the way out again."
4. Chessie Cars
5. Driving along, listening to "Harvest Moon" and then passing a sign for the Harvest Moon Cafe.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I had a weird music coincidence like that yesterday. Listening to Feist at the gym, she sings a part about a winter bird, and then a lone birdie lands on the windowsill next to me. Hi buddy! Maybe not quite as coincidental, but I took it as some sort of sign.

Anonymous said...

#3: That's a charming sentence - bittersweetly funny, paints a colorful moving picture.

-SECP