Sunday, July 30, 2006

More about pedestrians

Lest my previous post be misunderstood, let me just add that:
1. I used to be interested in being a cheerleader.
2. Cows can actually be pretty smart, but they, like cheerleaders, have the reputation of standing there dumbly without thinking about much. These cheerleaders certainly fit that description. Anyone reading my completely truthful account of their behavior can only be left to agree that they were behaving stupidly.
3. I am increasingly frustrated at the idiotic pedestrian behavior of kids; just the other day, I very nearly hit a kid who didn't even bother looking for traffic before he started to jaywalk; in fact, he was dialing his phone. If his friend hadn't stopped him, and if I hadn't been watching very carefully, he would have been a smear on the busiest street in town, and I would be left with a lifetime of guilt for his stupid action...and I assure you that I am one of the more cautious drivers out there.
There. Now that's out of the way, you can save your ichor. I don't get angry at much, but if I actually feel like getting out of the car and giving you a good yell, you know that you've done something very, very dumb, but also, like a parent, I'm concerned that your stupidity is going to get you killed.
I actually knew someone who killed a pedestrian and has to go through the very guilt I mentioned above. The walker in question was standing in dark clothes in the middle of the street at night. My friend had absolutely no chance to avoid him. It wasn't his fault, and he was cleared legally, but obviously he's always going to have that on his mind. I don't want that, and you don't want to be killed, so let's just agree that people need to be more considerate of the people around them, okay?

No comments: