Sunday, February 05, 2006

Dear God, please forgive me for throwing the chips out.

I always feel intensely guilty when I throw food out. We've sort of gone past the old parental admonishment of "starving kids in Ethiopa/Somalia/India/wherever would be grateful to have anything to eat let alone what you're tossing out," but I still feel it. Immense guilt for being a heavy-consuming, greedy American.
But sometimes, I think it's just not preventable. Today I tossed out somewhat stale Avocado flavored tortilla chips; not because they're stalish...I would eat stale chips out of guilt. But they leave this taste in my mouth that makes my breath smell, too, and it's so hard to get rid of. I have to use Listerine, which is okay except then my breath smells like medicine. Today I ate some of these chips, forgetting how awful the results are, and I'm trying to come up with things to fix it. Seriously...brushing teeth three times doesn't even get rid of it completely. The remainder of these chips (true, there weren't that many) are in the trash.
I've always had that issue...many years ago I ate a bowl of vegetable beef soup with a little garlic powder thrown in, and then brushed my teeth. I think it was even the next DAY after two teeth brushings, or at least several hours, and my Mom helpfully pointed out that my breath stank. She was right though, it did, and I couldn't do a blessed thing about it. I asked my dentist about this once and he didn't really have any helpful tips that I wasn't already trying, except for giving me the Listerine sample. Bleh. I need at least to get some cinnamon mouthwash, because I can't deal with that fake mint stuff. It's not minty at all.

So, going back to those five weird habits from a while ago, when I promised to come up with something better, I guess that's it. I have to be very careful about my breath.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try chewing fresh parsley.

Mom

Stephanie said...

I just had to throw out a steak that I didn't get the chance to cook before it went bad... I feel terrible about that too.